Mr. S. Selvaraju Deputy Manager
Towards a Quality Career
Our focus has always been to develop high standard in the Quality Assurance activity in Industries and other organizations through training, education and providing right human resources. With the current liberalized policies of the Government, it is imperating that Industries maintaining Quality through an established Quality system can only survive and grow. Hence there is a great demand for Quality knowledge at the input stage itself in the Industries. SQUAM has stepped into this area of running Post Graduate Diploma in Quality Management and Diploma in Quality Engineering with the Sole purpose of fulfilling the Industries need for efficient and effective Quality personnel. We have programmed to impart technical
knowledge and professional skill through scientific teaching methods, efficient and experienced faculty, apt course content, practical training, on th job apprenticeship and project work.
I am sure that there is a bright future awaiting the students completing a Quality Course in SQUAM.
Background of SQUAM
Indian Institution of Quality Assurance (IIQA) a body registered under the Societies Act has been in the field of Quality Assurance and Inspection services since 1974. The are in active
association with many industries including BHEL, Tiruchy, and has been a leader in Providing Quality Assurance Services to many large Industries. IIQA is managed by an Executive Committee headed by Mr. P.V.K.Achan, Ex-Executive Director / BHEL, as President and
experienced professionals as members.
While IIQA was carrying out significant work related to Quality Assurance, the Executive Committee decided to widen their role to training Personnel in Quality Assurance. The idea was later expanded to identify such activities for making a significant contribution in the field of Quality Management through establishment of a Center of Excellence in India and later plan for penetration into other developing countries as well. Thus a decision was taken to name this Center as School of Quality Management (SQUAM)
Thus (SQUAM) was established in 1992 at Gundur, 3 Km. away from Tiruchirapalli Airport on the Pudukkottai Road.
SQUAM has its own building located in an area of 3 acres consisting of Class Rooms, Conference Hall, Library, Laboratory, Staff Room etc. The location and environment are ideally suited for a study of this nature giving the students enough scope for developing their personal and professional skill.
SQUAM advisory Council
SQUAM’S Advisory Council functions under the Chairmanship of the President, Executive Committee / IIQA and also consists of members from BHEL, Bureau of Indian Standards, Public and Private Sector Organizations, Inspection Organizations, Government Institutions and Eminent Persons in the field of Quality Management, The Director - SQUAM is the Member Secretary of this Council.
SQUAM is committed to provide an excellent learning atmosphere and prepare the students to a bright Quality Career. The Courses are geared to the needs of Industry and respond to the changing demands caused by social and technological development.
SQUAM is affiliated to Bharathidasan University.
Competent dedicated faculty committed to excellent teaching is the main source of strength of SQUAM.
Part Time and visiting faculty includes independent consultants with extensive experience of Quality Assurance systems and other working in industry. Teaching Methods consist of lectures, tutorials, laboratory sessions, seminars, case study, discussions, project work (if applicable) and talks by m3embers of business community.
SQUAM has a NDT facility and a Metrology laboratory. These facilities would aid the students to have a ‘hands on’ experience in Quality Assurance as well as to carry out any research / project work.
SQUAM has a gook collection of books related to Quality System, Quality Assurance and Quality Management. More books are being added periodically. Students will be greatly benefited by proper use of the library.
SQUAM, in addition to education, has been conducting training programmes in various subjects like ISO 9000 Quality System, Total Quality Management, Waste control, World class manufacturing etc. The students will have an opportunity to attend some of these programs without paying the usual participation fee.
The Scope of this prospectus is for three courses viz,
1. Post Graduate Diploma in Quality Management (PGDQM).
2. Diploma in Quality Engineering Full Time (DQE).
3. Diploma in Quality Engineering Part Time / Evening Section (DQE)
Detailed information is given separately for the above courses.
The Prescribed application forms with the prospectus shall be issued / sent on receipt of application fee (mentioned in the annexure) by way of Bank Demand Draft in favour of ‘School of Quality Management’ Payable at Tiruchirapalli.
Applicant Should send the application from duly filled up on or before the stipulated last date for receipt of application forms. Applications received within the stipulated last date will only be considered. The candidates fullfilling the eligibility criteria will be asked to appear for an Entrance test / Interview. Based on the marks scored in the Entrance Test / Interview, a merit list would be prepared for each category. Accordingly the selected and wait listed candidates would be informed. The selected candidates should join the course within the stipulated date by paying the first term fee. The unfilled vacancies would be filled up by the wait listed candidates.
Number of Seats
The total number of seats will be 30 for each course.
In respect of evening section of Diploma in Quality Engineering course, Preference will be given to company sponsored candidates and employed persons.
Reservation of seats for candidates belonging to scheduled castes / tribes, most backward and backward classes will be as per rules of Tamil Nadu Government as applicable to SQUAM subject to the candidate, meeting SQUAM’s admission requirements.
The Course fee payable for each course is given in the annexure
Scholarship / Financial Assistance
Government Scholarship will be provided for SC, ST, MBC & BC candidates as per the Government norms. Various Organizations are being approached to Institute scholarship for providing financial assistance to deserving candidates. Merit scholarships / Prizes are award by SQUAM, following the guidelines prescribed in this regard.
This Course is intended to prepare the students to join Industries / Organization in the position of Managerial Executive / QA Executives, Management Trainees in Manufacturing, Quality, Materials or Design / Engg. Department, having learnt in depth various concepts of Quality as applicable to different functions of a manufacturing organization.
1. Degree in Engineering (Any Branch)
2. Degree / Post Graduate Degree in Science with Maths, Physics, Chemistry / Statistics / Applied Science or equivalent Science / Management as a main subject.
1. Statistical Quality Control
2. Quality Systems Management
3. Cost & Management Accounting
4. Reliability Engineering
5. Elective from Group A
6. Human Resources Management
7. Design & Analysis of Experiments
8. Total Quality Management
9. Elective from Group B
10. Project Work
Elective Group A
1. Advanced Operation Research
2. Relational Database Management System
3. Material Engineering & Processes
4. Programming with C Language
Elective Group B
1. Business Process Re-engineering
2. Production & Materials Management
3. Modern Manufacturing Practices
Duration : 1 Year
The Course consists of two semesters and at the end of each semester students have to appear for University Examination in the subjects mentioned above
Selection for admission to the course will be based on performance of the applicant in Entrance test, group discussion and Interview. Entrance test shall consist of objective type questions in Match, Physics, Chemistry, English and General Knowledge, similar to MBA entrance tests. By a separate communication, more details will be furnished to the applicant
Students will be required to do a project work in an Industrial subject related to Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Quality Management or any related field. This gives an opportunity for the student to have a direct exposure to organizational environment / quality problems.
Seminars / Conferences
The students of PGDQM will be asked to take part in seminars / group discussions regularly in various topics related to the subjects of study. This would aid them to develop managerial ability, which is a must for taking up any executive position in an organization.
The objective of DQE Course is to bring out knowledgeable, effective and trained quality personnel who can be positioned as Engineers / Supervisors or Trainees in Quality or manufacturing departments of a production unit. They will fit in well in any team to be productive and cooperative, to establish an improved Quality Assurance System to produce Quality products on a continuous basis.
1. Diploma in Engineering (any branch)
2. Degree in Engineering
3. Degree in Science with Maths / Physics / Chemistry / Statistics / Applied science / or equivalent Science as a main subject.
4. Dual opportunity for Final Year B.E / B.Tech (any branch) can apply for DQE (Part - Time)
1. Statistical Methods
2. Quality Systems
3. Materials Engineering & Process
4. Organizational Behaviour
5. Inspection Instruments and Test Equipments
6. Statistical Process Control & Acceptance Sampling
7. Introduction to Production Management
8. Quality Assurance Management
9. Quality Improvement Techniques.
10. IITE Practical
Duration : 1 Year
This Course consists of two semesters and at the end of each semester students have to appear for University Examinations in the subjects mentioned above.
Selection for admission to the course will be based on performance of the applicant in the Interview and marks secured in qualifying examination. The interview would be to judge the candidates personality, knowledge and aptitude towards Quality Assurance.
The attractive feature of the course is apprenticeship in the field of Quality Assurance / Engineering. On completion of the course, students according to individual’s interest will be attached to an Industry to have on the job training as an apprentice for a period of 3 months.
Industrial visits for the students are arranged regularly to enable them to have an insight into various operations / Processes / Organizational structure of different industries. These visits also help the students to have interaction with the factory personnel.
Awarding of Diplomas
Diplomas to the successful students will be awarded by Bharathidasan University.
SQUAM’s placement cell is constantly in touch with the industries to know about their personnel requirement so as to position suitable candidates for training / placement. So far they have been successful in arranging placement for all the students. List of industries /
establishments who have shown interest and those who have absorbed the students from SQUAM is given in the annexure.
Rules Governing studies
1. Medium of instruction will be English
2. Students should fulfill the minimum attendance requirements as per Bharathidasan University Regulations, to appear for the final examination.
3. Late arrival and early departure at the lecture halls / laboratory will not earn attendance.
4. Students are advised to buy / refer to the books recommended by the faculty.
5. Fees once paid will not be refunded. Library / Laboratory Caution Deposit will be refunded after completion of the course without interest after deducting the cost for breakage / damage / loss made by the student.
6. Students awaiting results of qualifying examination should produce proof of passing the examination by the date specified by the Director and failure to do so will lead to cancellation of admission and no refund of fees will be made in such cases.
7. Students should observe Rules & Regulations of SQUAM / Bharathidasan University as framed and modified from time to time.
8. They should maintain proper discipline. Any infringement of discipline by a student, is punishable with a fine or cancellation of admission and pursuing of further studies. The student may be debarred from the examination. The Director, SQUAM will be the deciding authority in all disputes relating to the student’s activities of SQUAM.
Download Application Form (Regular Course)
Using The Below Attachments:
|Regular Courses Leaflet||223.5 KB|
|Regular Course Apllication Form||64 KB|